Avail Car Towing Services In California: Register Your Vehicle Now

It has been estimated that around 69 million vehicle breakdowns occur in the US every year. This is equal to about 1 in 3 drivers. Vehicle breakdowns can occur on highways and deserted roads, making it challenging to get assistance. In such a situation, you may require towing services. Other possibilities include a car breaking down in your garage. All of these towing situations fall under the category of voluntary towing. The car driver will need certain criteria and documents to avail of these towing services. Whether you purchase towing services or have a membership with road assistance programs like AAA, you will need these documents.

Towing Services Requirement

When getting your car towed, you will need to have the necessary paperwork, like a license, car registration online CA, and insurance cards. This is because when the towing truck arrives, you will have to sign some paperwork for identification, service agreement, and liability purposes. You can get your vehicle registered through your local California DMV in various online and offline methods. This includes California online vehicle registration and registration on-site, via phone, and by mail.

Vehicle Register From a Dealer

Buying a vehicle from an authorized dealer means that you may not have to take care of all the registration processes. Many dealers are authorized to issue temporary registration, California vehicle registration from out of state, and transfer the vehicle title. These can be used until the permanent stickers and registration arrive in the mail within two weeks. However, if the dealer is not authorized to provide such services or the registration expires, then you will need to do the registration yourself at your local California DMV. You can expect the registration fee to include transfer title fees and a use tax. You must register the car within ten days, or you will be charged with penalty fees after 30 days. You can check out the calculator module on the California DMV website to obtain an estimate. However, you will be able to know the exact fees when you register on-site at the DMV.

Requirements of Dealership Purchased Vehicle Registration

To get vehicles registered after purchase from a dealer, you must have the following:

  • You need a completed Application for Title or Registration form (REG 343) if the vehicle is new.
  • You need the California Certificate Title if your vehicle is used. However, if it is an out-of-state vehicle, then you will need an out-of-state title. If the certificate title has been damaged or lost, you will need to fill out an Application for Duplicate or Transfer of Title form (REG 227).
  • The seller’s signature on the Certificate of Title is required. If there are multiple sellers, then all their signatures are required.
  • The buyer’s signature on the Certificate of Title is required.
  • You must pay any applicable use tax or title transfer fees.

Registration Renewal Form: Register Vehicle From Dealership

You may require some additional documents when registering a vehicle bought from the dealership. You may likely have to visit the DMV on-site to provide them. They are:

  • A completed Vehicle Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262)
  • A Statement of Facts form (REG 256)
  • Smog certification. If your vehicle is less than four years old, you will not need this. Instead, you will need to pay a smog abatement fee.
  • Vehicle Emission System Statement (SMOG) form (REG 139)
  • Various other fees depend on your unique situation.

Registration of Vehicle Purchased from a Private Party

Compared to buying from a dealership, buying your vehicle from vehicle owners counts as buying from a private party. Once the car’s ownership has been transferred, the new owner has ten days to register the vehicle at the DMV after buying it. Additionally, the vehicle seller has five days to report the transfer of ownership to the California DMV after selling it. You can use the fee calculator module on the DMV website to estimate the fees involved. However, you will be able to know the actual fees you have to pay when you register on-site or through the mail.

Requirements of a Private Party-Purchased Vehicle

To register a vehicle purchase from another person, you must have the following:

  • The seller’s signature on Line 1 of the vehicle’s title (pink slip) is required. If the title has been stolen, damaged, or lost, they must complete an Application for Replacement or Transfer of Title form (REG 227).
  • If the owner’s name on the title and the seller’s are not the same, then a Bill of Sale is required. This must be signed by both the owner and the seller.
  • If the vehicle is less than ten years old, a record of the odometer mileage is required. If you cannot add this information to the title, a completed Vehicle Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) is required. The seller and buyer must both sign this.
  • A smog certification
  • Use tax and any applicable fees.

Renewal of Vehicle Registration

You need to have a valid registration card when availing of towing services. Therefore, you must renew your registration once it has expired. California car license renewal registration through self-renewal is available on the DMV website. However, certain requirements need to be fulfilled if you want to renew online. Otherwise, you will have to register through the mail or on-site at the DMV. You will be able to receive your vehicle registration within two weeks after you have applied online. You can use the calculator module on the DMV website to obtain an estimate for the vehicle registration fees you will be paying.

Requirements For Online Vehicle Registration Renewal

You can renew your vehicle registration online only if you fulfill the following:

  • Having access to the Internet. It is recommended you update your browsers to the latest update and turn on JavaScript.
  • Having a valid credit card, debit card, or checking account. A processing registration fee of 2.1% will apply if you use a credit or debit card.
  • Knowing the last five digits of your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
  • You must have insurance for your vehicle. Additionally, your insurance company must report information electronically to the DMV. Some companies don’t do this, so you will have to bring the insurance on-site.
  • Electronic smog certification information is on file at the DMV. If it is not available, you will have to bring it and renew it on-site.
  • Have your license plate number.
  • A renewal notice confirming your current address.